The following are some questions to ask the research team when thinking about a clinical trial. Write down any questions you might have and bring your list with you when you first meet with the research team.
- What treatment or tests will I have? Will they hurt?
- What are the chances I will get the experimental treatment?
- What are the possible risks, side effects, and benefits of the study treatment compared to my current treatment?
- How will I know if the treatment is working?
- How will you protect my health while I am in the study?
- What happens if my health problem gets worse during the study?
- How will the study affect my everyday life?
- How long will the clinical trial last?
- Where will the study take place? Will I have to stay in the hospital?
- Will you provide a way for me to get to the study site if I need it?
- Will being in the study cost me anything? If so, will I be reimbursed? Will my insurance cover my costs?
- Can I take my regular medicines while in the trial?
- Who will be in charge of my care while I am in the study? Will I be able to see my own doctor?
- Will you follow up on my health after the end of the study?
- Will you tell me the results of the study?
- Whom do I call if I have more questions?
- How will you keep my doctor informed about my participation in the trial?
- Does the study compare standard and experimental treatments?
- If I withdraw, will this affect my normal care?
- What are the chances that I will receive a placebo?
- What steps ensure my privacy?
Content reviewed: May 17, 2017
To find a healthcare professional, use HealthLynked. It is a first of its kind medical network built as a social ecosystem with a higher purpose – improving healthcare. Go to HealthLynked.com to learn more, sign up for free, connect with your doctor, find a new doctor, and securely store and share your health information. Download our HealthLynked app available on Apple and Android devices.